VoiceBee
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VoiceBee

Start or join the conversation by browsing, leaving comments, or start your own thread to let your voicebee heard.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  ContributionContribution  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KimmyCocoaPuffs
Admin
KimmyCocoaPuffs

Referred By : VoiceBee
Honey Points : 724

Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? Empty
PostSubject: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 17th 2014, 9:10 am

I love to get on my bicycle and ride my neighborhood.  It's a huge neighborhood so I can easily ride 4 miles and make it back home safely.  Yesterday, my babe and I wanted to ride to our nearest Park which is about 5 miles away, but to get to the park you have to ride about a quarter of mile on a major two lane road (no sidewalks) where traffic is moving about 55 mph or more.  I drive this two lane road almost daily and every day I see bicyclist riding and I always slow down to about 25 mph and swing my car out to pass by them.

Well I got a rude awakening when I was the bicyclist.  The first vehicle to pass us was a huge dump truck that was speeding at least 65 mph.  It was moving so fast that the wind it created almost pulled us into traffic.  The worst part about it all was that the driver did not swing out.  That huge truck did not even cross over the middle yellow line.  I remind you there are no side walks so we're riding the edge of the road.  Then, there were about 8 more cars after that that did basically the same thing.  Man, I was never so afraid in my life.  Suffice it to say, I will never be doing that again.

I'm always so careful and cautious with Pedestrians and in all my years of driving I had not seen drivers not swing out and slow down for Pedestrians, especially at that speed.

Pedestrian Respect!  Where did it go?

Last edited by KimmyCocoaPuffs on July 24th 2014, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BunnyHoo
HoneyBee
HoneyBee
BunnyHoo

Referred By : AppleCrush
Honey Points : 306

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 17th 2014, 12:15 pm

Are you moving with the traffic or against the traffic?
Back to top Go down
YellowBee
Newbee
Newbee
YellowBee

Referred By : ForeverYoung
Honey Points : 57

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 17th 2014, 5:49 pm

That's pretty brave of you to ride on a major road like that with no sidewalks.  Do you know how many people out there that are crazy just waiting to hit and kill someone and call it an accident?  Hopefully you won't do that again but if you do just be careful.
Back to top Go down
KimmyCocoaPuffs
Admin
KimmyCocoaPuffs

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 20th 2014, 1:13 pm

BunnyHoo wrote:
Are you moving with the traffic or against the traffic?

When going I was moving with the traffic, but when coming back I was moving against the traffic.
Back to top Go down
KimmyCocoaPuffs
Admin
KimmyCocoaPuffs

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 20th 2014, 1:15 pm

YellowBee wrote:
That's pretty brave of you to ride on a major road like that with no sidewalks.  Do you know how many people out there that are crazy just waiting to hit and kill someone and call it an accident?  Hopefully you won't do that again but if you do just be careful.

No, I won't be doing that again.  It was too dangerous and scared the ba-heebies out of me so don't worry your pretty little head; I learned my lesson...  Basketball  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Penny1000
HoneyBee
HoneyBee
Penny1000

Referred By : Kiyah
Honey Points : 177

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 23rd 2014, 1:03 pm

They say it's always best to move against the traffic. This way you can see whats coming in front of you.
Back to top Go down
KimmyCocoaPuffs
Admin
KimmyCocoaPuffs

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 23rd 2014, 6:37 pm

Penny1000 wrote:
They say it's always best to move against the traffic.  This way you can see whats coming in front of you.

Yeah I agree.  It was a lot easier going against the traffic and it felt so much more safer.  However, I'm just done with traveling that road.
Back to top Go down
ForeverYoung
HoneyBee
HoneyBee
ForeverYoung

Honey Points : 170

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? EmptyJuly 24th 2014, 8:21 am

If the highway is the only way to get to that park, then maybe it's time to petition your community or counselor to make bicycle safety a priority in your neighborhood.  When a park is near by there should be a safe way to get there either by way of walking or riding a bike.

Check out this link:  http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?   Pedestrian Safety!  Where did it go? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pedestrian Safety! Where did it go?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VoiceBee :: Miscellaneous :: Random Chat-
Jump to: